I teach vector illustration to students and scientists of the University of Münster, Germany. As part of my lecture, I give students the skills necessary to communicate visually. Illustration is a powerful tool for engaging audiences and transferring information. I believe that students and knowledge workers of all disciplines benefit from illustration skills when it comes to conveying information. This semester-long course tackles a range of questions regarding information illustration, such as:
- How do you generate a concrete illustrative idea for an abstract scientific topic?
- What are the steps to create a sketch that forms the basis of an illustration project?
- How do you create a vector illustration in Adobe Illustrator?
- What are the design concepts needed to create professional looking illustrations?
I also teach digital character design in Adobe Illustrator as part of my Skillshare Class. The course is directed at novice artists without prior knowledge or advanced artists who want to learn more about vector illustration. The course deals with all the stages of digital character design from ideation to sketching and creating a polished artwork in Adobe Illustrator.
- What can you do to come up with fun character ideas?
- How do you employ basic shapes to build up a great character sketch?
- What does the process from sketch to vector illustration look like?
- How do you use basic design rules to perfect your digital character design?